Friday, June 02, 2006

It only got to 94 today.... Thank Goodness!!!

Ever had one of these days??? You wake up and after a short while you realize something is bothering you but you can't quite put your finger on it? Well... today was that day for me. It didn't take me too long to put my finger on it, however. One of the airconditioning units had been running non-stop since I woke up. At 05:30, if the air conditioners (I have two, one for upstairs and one for down) usually don't come on and stay on for very long. I didn't feel any air coming out of my vents, (our room is on the first floor) so I went up stairs. I didn't feel any air up their either... The thermostat was not calling for air on either floor. So, I thought maybe I was hearing a neighbor's machine but I decided to walk outside and check it out. As it turns out, it was one of my units. The upstairs unit was on and running. So, I returned to the attic to see if I could firgure out why there was no air blowing if the air conditioner was on.

Below you will see a photo journey that will save a couple thousand words explaining what I found. For you "do it your selfers", you may find some helpful hints to air conditioner repair.

One word of advice. If you are going to tackle the repair yourself, be prepared to fight stiff resistance getting parts. The first couple places I called flat out told me that it was against the law for them to sell parts to me! I had to be licensed before I could buy the parts. When I tried to find the parts at wholesale outlets that were not directly related to the HVAC industry, they didn't have the parts. When they asked what I needed them for and I told them for my air conditioner, they told me I'd have to get them from an HVAC supplier! What a raquet! Get the legislature to pass a law that says you can only work on an air conditioner if you are a licensed contractor. Then you can charge whatever you want because you know the home owner is at your mercy!

I'm sorry, but I'm fixing my own air conditioner. Here's my plan. I'll put on my Cypress shirt, wear my Cypress employee badge and go to the HVAC places I know Cypress has accounts and do my business... neglecting to mention I am working at home today and that the "boss" is also know to many as "Mom"...

So, follow along for the fun;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home